Wednesday, February 4, 2015

1818 Chophouse

For an upscale dinner experience in Edwardsville, Illinois, be sure to give 1818 Chophouse a try. It is located in the Park Place in downtown Edwardsville.  But what isn't located in Edwardsville these days?

Chophouse opened in September of 2012, originally known as Craft Chophouse. About a year later the name quietly changed to 1818 Chophouse. Nothing much else changed besides the name which is a good thing in my mind as the ambiance and food are superior!

I've eaten at Chop a ca-zillion times it seems.... lunch, dinner or just in the bar for few drinks! They also serve a splendid brunch on Mother's Day and possibly other Sundays that features a huge variety of creative brunch type food - Eggs Benedict, prime rib, etc etc.  Other Sundays are served off the menu.

So... here's a few of my favorites...

Bloody Mary

Artisan Cheese Platter




Little Gem Wedge Salad
Truffle Wild Mushroom Bisque



Grilled Chilean Salmon

Filet Mignon


Seafood Pasta


Absolutely one of the best Bloody Mary's I've had.  Thick and zesty with olives and a crisp slice of bacon.  FANTASTIC.  Chophouse also features a wonderful list of eclectic cocktails besides the bloody mary and martini pictured above.

The Artisan Cheese Platter changes frequently, but I find it to always be an excellent way to start the meal. It features a selection of three cheeses, Bacon-Raisin Chutney, Olive Medley and Pate´ of the Day.  Our most recent visit included some wonderful prosciutto

Now most visits I get the Little Gem Salad, but I thought I'd break out of box one night and order Truffle Wild Mushroom Bisque. And, boy I'm glad I did... not knocking the salad, but this bisque was awesome.  It featured Truffle Creme Fraiche & Rosemary oil. Simply amazing!!

If you are a fan of classic wedge salads, give the Little Gem Salad a try.  It is a small version of the wedge salad with blue cheese, diced egg, applewood bacon, diced tomato served a creamy blue cheese dressing. Another great dish from Chophouse.

Known for their steaks, I rarely deviate from ordering one, but one recent visit, the special was too tempting to not order.  It was the Seafood Pasta. This description is straight from the menu: Special with small pasta noodles, lobster, shrimp and crap, a hard-boiled egg in a light broth topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. It was simply amazing!!! The seafood was flavorful. The broth wasn't heavy so it did not mask any of the rich flavors. In recent years, I've noticed a trend to top entrees with eggs. Most cases they are fried, but hard-boiled was nice, different addition.  I certainly hope this special makes its way back around or perhaps it could become a regular menu item.

The same night I had the above-mentioned pasta, Carole ordered the Grilled Chilean Salmon. It was served with a Scallion and Red Pepper Risotto with Truffle Compound Butter.  As always I had a few bites at the restaurant and somehow the next day the left overs became my lunch!!! Another well-done seafood dish I highly recommend.

On many other occasions I've had various cuts of steak at Chophouse.  One that is quite memorable is the Filet Mignon. Cooked to the desired "doneness" that one selects, they are spot on.  Steaks usually have the option to add 6-8 different additions, like lobster or special sauces.  Usually the steak is prepared so well you can opt to not add anything and still end up with a wonderful meal.

I've enjoyed numerous other dishes including the Lobster BLT & E. The E stands for Egg, since they serve it topped with an egg. Overall I had numerous positive dining experiences at Chop and plan to go back many more times.  You should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment