Friday, January 9, 2015

Bagna Cauda


Over the years I have cooked sporadically and when I do it is mostly on the grill. There are exceptions of course and one of them is Bagna Cauda.  Loosely translated it means "hot dip".

This Italian is often made two ways - oil or cream based. My grandmother made cream based Bagna Cauda since I was a small child.  It historically was served on New Year's Day. The old Italian superstition stated that by eating Bagna Cauda, you would have good luck all year. I guess so far it has worked pretty good for us!

Anyway, over the years I have slowly moved away from the cream version and have been cooking the oil based recipe.  During this time I have tweaked the recipe with the help of my friend Jack Leckel. Jack has written several cookbooks among his many other talents.

This recipe is quick and easy to make

Bagna Cauda - Oil Based Recipe

1 stick butter
1 can flat anchovies with oil
6-10 cloves of garlic (depending on size.... I usually go heavy on garlic)
1 loaf Italian bread
Small leafy vegetable like bokchoy

Melt one stick of butter in a small pan on med- hi heat.
Chop garlic
When butter is sizzling add garlic and sauté
After garlic has cooked several minutes add anchovies and drain oil from can into pan (DO NOT CUT UP ANCHOVIES)
As it continues to sauté use a rubber spatula to break up anchovies.
Once the anchovies are more or less broken up and thicken the butter transfer to a serving dish.
Serve with Italian bread and small pieces of bokchoy

No comments:

Post a Comment